Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Match Play Under Way

This week in Tucson the Accenture Match Play matches up 64 of the best golfers in the world. This is a great tournament for a few reasons, it's set in Tucson so the landscape is beautiful, and there are brackets. I mean, it's like March Madness for golf. I of course have my brackets filled out and posted in my cube, I'll revisit on Sunday and see how well I did.

After a delayed start for the day due to frost, there have a been a few surprises so far after day one:
  • Stewart Cink came out as his old British Open winning self and beat returning Accenture champion Ian Poulter in 19 holes.
  • Mark Wilson beat big hitter Dustin Johnson in 19 holes, facing Bubba Watson next- the second biggest hitter on the tour
  • Steve Stricker lost to youngster Matteo Manassero who is definitely someone to keep an eye on this season
  • Ryan Palmer takes out 2010 FedEx Cup winner Jim Furyk 
Tiger is currently in extra holes and needs to win this round to hold his 3rd place spot on the tour. Quite nerve racking.

Update: Too soon to talk about Tiger. Hope his hand is okay :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment